Artichoke Falafel Fritters
Makes 16 to 20 Fritters:
USE YOUR FAVORITE DIPPING SAUCE.
- 1 14 oz, can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 medium sized onion, skin removed and trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/3 cup garbanzo/fava flour
- 1 large egg
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white truffle oil (optional)
- 3 teaspoons salted capers, rinsed and minced
- vegetable oil for frying
- Add all the ingredients, except the capers, to a food processor and puree until you have a smooth paste. It should still be loose not stiff. Stir in the minced capers.
- Use a wok to fry them or a deep pot works well too. Put enough oil into the pot so the fritters will float without touching the bottom of the pan. Just make sure the pot is no more than 1/3 full of oil. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat the oil to 350 degree or if you do not have a fry thermometer drop a little dough in and if it pops right back up and bubbles furiously you are good to go.
- Using a #60 scoop or a tablespoon slip the batter gently into the oil. Do not over crowd and do not let them brown to quickly. Reduce the heat if necessary.
- When they have finished cooking remove them to a paper towel lined plate or oven proof dish to drain. Slide them into the oven to keep warm while finishing. Repeat the above step until all the batter is gone. Serve immediately.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce (think artichokes without the leftover leaves).
(Source for fritters: Tom Hirschfeld of bonafidefarmfood.com)
ARTSnFOOD, is an online publication dedicated to "The Pursuit of Happiness in the Arts and in Food." ™ All rights reserved. Concept, Original Art, Text & "Original Assigned Photography" are © Copyright 2013 Jack A. Atkinson under all International intellectual property and copyright laws. All art gallery, museum, art fair or art festival photographs were used with permission. Images © individual artists, fabricators, respective owners or assignees.